Thursday, June 10, 2010

Champion.

I went to the hospital to visit. To be honest, I had put it off time and again. Some part of me knew she might have too many visitors. And indeed, while I was there and another group of visitors were about to arrive, I heard her say weakly, "I don't want everybody here."

I left very shortly. Just wanted you to know Jiejie (big sister) Wai Jia is waiting for you to come back to my class for Sunday School.

" These are for you. You pick one for yourself, and one for your younger sister."

"I pick this one. Rainbow! Rainbow bear for me and this is... Sunshine. Sunshine bear for mei-mei (younger sister)!

That was the one out of the two I had originally picked for her.

To which her mother replied, "Yes, Rainbow. It means holding on to God's promises."

That evening, when I got home, I received a package in the mail. The scrawly handwriting on the envelope made me smile.

My friend had liver cancer when he was 11. The doctors gave him 6 months to live. He had a liver transplant. They talk about prolonging life spans up till 10 years. He is now 30. That's 18 years of life lived well. And, did I forget to mention, he did an Iron Man event? That's like... a 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride and a full 42.2km marathon event. That's... crazy. Yeah, I know. And amazing, too. Read his inspiring story here.

I was in awe when I opened the package. It contained a card for her, and the gold medal he won for Canada in the World Transplant Games Australia Gold Coast 2009.

His card:


His gold medal:



He doesn't even know her. He hasn't even met her. She's my Sunday school kid who's suffering. It's his gold medal. It's a champion's medal. Not just for any small race, but for the World Transplant Games.

This just completely blows my mind.


I suppose, he understands completely, how it feels like to be sick when one is still a child.

Be strong, darling. You're a champion in our hearts already. Sometimes, I don't really know how to pray for you, I don't know what to tell God. But you're in our hearts dear. And we'll be by your side. Be strong, because Rainbow Bear and Sunshine Bear want to play, too.


Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.