Friday, July 9, 2010

Stay on the Road

“Lovers, keep on the road you’re on.
Runners, until the race is done.”
-Coldplay, Lovers in Osaka

Even God did not leave this road unscathed.

Just because we’re injured, doesn’t mean we get off the road. We stay on. We may slow down, but it doesn’t mean we give up.

When I first flew off my bike two-thirds into the race that day, I picked myself up and finished it, even though it was a painful fall. Why should things be different now? Just because this particular hospital is not treating me right and has absolutely disappointed me and left me in despair about my recovery, doesn’t mean I should be discouraged. I’ve had it. I now understand why people affectionately dub that place the Cannot-Go-Home hospital (excuse the grammatical error), I’m finding my own help and I’m going to get well.

Same for you. Just because you’re injured doesn’t mean you stop and get off the road. Just because your mentor doesn’t know how to help you doesn’t mean you’re a gone case. We’re more resilient than we think. Get down. Pray. Then get up. Walk. Find your own mentor, your own doctor. Get your own help. God sends angels on a regular basis. Why should you give up?

Get your feet back on the road.

I remember two years ago when I was in therapy, I thought I would never run again. I thought they would make me stop forever. But we forget, that life goes on in seasons. Winter comes but winter goes, and spring will surely arrive. The break was essential. And when God put me back on the road, I was not only running, but swimming and biking, too.

We return stronger when we allow God to do the work which needs to be done in a season of rest.

When God stops us and forces us to rest, we can use it as an opportunity to disqualify ourselves from the race, or use it as a rest-stop to return stronger- both physically and emotionally. But we must first let go. God, I’m going to have to accept, that I’ll still love you just as much even if you tell me I can never do another triathlon again. Through this injury, I discovered, that I love the triathlon sport truly for what it is. But I’m letting it go. I have to.

I found out, my pelvic stress fracture injury was due to many factors, and I had most of the high-risk ones: The females athelete’s triad consists of a history of amenorrhea, an eating disorder and osteoperosis; Another physiotherapist discovered I have scoliosis (an S-shaped spine), which aggravates hamstring injuries; they told me I have very tight and weak back and core muscles, and very flat feet, which add severe stress on my pelvis when I run or bike. The injury is due to an overextension of the leg muscles, which happened when I took the wrong advice of someone to raise my bike seat higher, when it already had been fitted well.

Most of all, I was greedy. And proud. And self-sufficient. All those factors had been there for years, but my flesh pushed myself over the cliff.

But it’s not over. God is a God of mercy and grace. His grace allows for second chances. So I’m not giving up. Both my legs feel like Styrofoam when I walk now, but it’s not over. I’m going to get proper help. I’m going to learn from my mistakes and get back up on the road. If Ezzy and Fungus can get back on the road, you and I can too.

So I’m going to keep walking, walking.

Stay on the road, finish the journey.


From a friend


"Be thankful that the road is long and challenging,
because that is where you’ll find the best that life has to offer."
— Ralph Marston

"The Lord gives wisdom . . .
guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just and fair
-- every good path."
-Proverbs 2:6, 8-9 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.