Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You made my day.

I was rather nervous.

Today was the day Faith was ready for me to have a bike fit. This means one finally gets on the bike to custom-fit it according to one's anatomy. As I took in the reality of finally being able to see her, I started to think about what owning something expensive meant. Would it change me. What did it mean.


Just as I mulled over that thought, I received an email from a stranger. He wanted to donate all the auspicious hongbao or red-packet money he had received over the Chinese New Year to whatever cause I was supporting. (Red packet money is money unmarried people receive from older relatives, as a form of blessing for the new lunar year.)

Hi Wai Jia,

You do not know me but perhaps you know my girlfriend, J. I mentioned to her that I wanted to donate my hongbao money somewhere this year and she suggested I look you up...


He went on to share with me the story of how his friend who wanted to spend money buying two musical instruments for himself had been impacted and challenged by what God had told me to do for Alisha. It was then that tears started to roll down my cheeks, because I knew deep down inside, that it wasn't me who gave the money up, but the power of God working in my heart. I wouldn't have had the strength otherwise.

Suddenly, I remembered the pain that sacrifice involved, and caught a glimpse of the extent of the sacrifice God made for us when He had to give up what was most precious to Him simply because of His love for us.

Therefore, I am moved to contribute money to your cause. My commitment this year is to donate all of the hongbao money that I receive. As part of my commitment, I have not yet opened up the hongbaos so I will not be tempted to keep it for myself. So I actually do not know how much I am donating, but I trust that what ever the amount, it will go some way in helping someone.

This is the first time anyone has written to me for a request such as this. I am amazed, moved and incredibly inspired, too.

Thank you for your trust, for reminding me of what it means to give and to give sacrificially. Thank you for making my birthday week extra special. You have made a difference in my life, too.

God is no man's debtor. Just remember that.



"As he looked up, God saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury.
He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins.
"I tell you the truth," he said,
"this poor widow has put in more than all the others.
All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth;
but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."
-Like 21:1-4



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.