Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Special Moments.

Of all the reasons I write, perhaps capturing those special moments and preserving them for a lifetime may be one of the most precious ones.

I just want to remember:

- the time I stood at the starting line, feeling overwhelmed by the pulsing air of excitement from the tens of thousands of people there, feeling lost since J and I decided that she would race ahead of me, feeling worried that my knee would give up and I would be unable to complete the distance by myself... Then receiving Aunty Ay's text message, "Run your own race looking to God, not man. Praying for you. Just being there is an achievement already!" and W's little reminder, " You can do it! May God carry you on His wings... Your knee will be healed."

I learnt, that it is perfectly okay to feel not-okay at the beginning of a journey. It is okay, because that's where trust and faith in God come in.

- the time when the horn sounded, when all the runners took off, when my heart sank to the floor as many raced ahead of me, and I saw J disappear into the crowd... but I found person after person to talk to, to encourage, and to be encouraged by. It was then I learnt, that no matter how lost we may feel on a journey, God will surely send people, angels in disguise, to push us on. We, too, may be angels to somebody else.

- the time where I met Uncle Lim, an elderly man who loved to run, and listened to his stories as I plodded on. As I ran ahead and U-turned past the midway point, he, far behind on the other side of the loop, climbed up to the fence just so he could shout to me, "WAI JIA! KEEP GOING!"

What a pleasantly embarrassing moment. It was such a touching moment to see a white-haired man, absolutely exhausted, make the extra effort to look out for me, clamber halfway to the fence just so he could get my attention to encourage me on. I can't believe he actually remembered my bib number and email address, for I received a note from him today:



Hi Wai Jia,

Just trying my luck to see if this reaches you.

Many thanks for your encouragement.
We had some nice conversation on the way.
Did you tell your daddy the Proton Saga joke I told you?

I did better then last year by 15 minutes, without any muscle cramps.
I'm quite happy with what I did this year.
I noticed that you also did very well.

So sad I didn't see any photo of mine (on the official website taken by the organisers ).
But you got 8 photos and all look gorgeous!
You must have been very attractive to the photographers.
Hahaha...

Do get in touch.

Cheers, Lim

I'm reminded, how elderly people are such a joy and inspiration in our lives. I learnt, just how much God had blessed me during this race.

- the time where I ran alongside Simon, who confided in me that he was afraid he wouldn't finish the race, and was so thankful for company because he had prayed specifically for "an angel" to run alongside him. "My brother is a missionary, and I'm going to tell him I met you today!" Talking to him was the highlight of my race, too.

I learnt, that each random encounter might just be a divine appointment.

- the time where I ran past the 16-kilometre mark and saw a young lad walking, and decided to run next to him to encourage him to press on, only to have him exclaim, "Wai Jia!" Then looking at his face, realising he was one of my cycling buddies and seeing him pick his legs up to complete his full marathon in less than 4.5 hours... "I was so glad I met you...if not I would've walked more..." , and finding myself inspired by him to push on myself.

I learnt, that helping others is incredibly empowering. More powerful than any energy bar.

- the many moments I turned back to smile at someone who had decided to walk because he was too tired, and seeing him take off again and running by, or better still, overtaking me. I learnt, that everyone can do with a smile.

- the time where I saw the finish line and felt so surreal, where I lifted up my hands and couldn't stop thanking God for my legs and flat feet.

I learnt, that gratitude is what pleases God the most.

- the time where I saw J and she was so very, very proud of me, even though my timing, in comparison to hers, was so far behind. "I'm sooo proud of you dear! Well done & the honour is all yours. Yippy! :)" I learnt, that having someone wait for you at the finishing line makes a world of difference. Friends, are so precious.

- the time where I returned home to show you my medal and photos, and you were so happy and proud of me, perhaps because I brought back memories to your old, athletic days, which you always told me about, over and over, and I can never grow tired listening to your same stories.
I learnt that having a family and loved ones who support you in your endeavours is one of the greatest blessings in the world.

- the time after it all blew over, and you asked, " So full marathon next year?"

And I grinned, "I'll think about it, dad. We'll see, okay?"

I learnt, that life is a journey, which without others and God, would simply not be worth living and worth journeying till the very very end.






" I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith."
-2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.