Saturday, July 11, 2009

Drafting.

Drafting. It is a term used by cyclists, which means following the bike in front of you so closely that you no longer have to strive against the oncoming headwind, simply because the cyclist in front of you does the work of overcoming it for you. Cyclists draft together for greater efficiency, often in beautifully straight lines in melodic synchrony, wheeling down roads against the morning breeze. Cyclists who draft usually use cleats, contraptions cyclists attach to the bottom of their shoes which allow them to "hook" onto their pedals so they can cycle at greater speeds and efficiency. It took me a long time before I had the guts to try them out, and many words of encouragement, 8 painful falls, 2 abrasions, and 1 ten-centimetre bruise later, I finally got the hang of cycling using them.



Last Saturday was my first time drafting for real. I was the fifth cyclist in line of about ten of us, each of us pedalling at an identical speed, pulling forward in synchronised rhythm. It was the fastest I had ever gone for such a long distance, yet, it felt so easy, enjoyable and fun.

It suddenly hit me- that drafting is exactly like following God.


Let me explain.
It was Fungus who first inspired me. During the time I met him, I was sure God had told me to let sports go because it made me rely too much on myself, too little on Him, and I had reached the point of blind self-striving. The strenuous effort of going against God's purpose for my life reminded me of the feeling of sprinting on one's bike alone, relying on oneself, having to face the strong headwind and struggling so much just to overcome it- the ride becomes lonely, tiring, unenjoyable.

But following and listening to God is like drafting. When we yield and obey, things fall into place and even though we are performing at a much higher level, it feels so much easier, more enjoyable and peaceful. We work, but from a posture of rest; we labour, but from a position of purpose. When we are walking in the centre of His purpose, things become much easier.


I was a little worried when I signed up for the mini-triathlon- after all, I am doing my O&G (obstetrics and gynaecology) module, stepping up as a bible study leader at the varsity, stepping up as sunday school teacher for my group of seven year-olds at church, and practising for my upcoming flute exam, all around the same time. But the peace was so strange- it lingered. God was waiting to show me the difference between the awful strain of self-striving and the beautiful ease of drafting Him.

Shortly after I signed up, I became amazed at how God strategically placed people in my path to make the journey so easy and enjoyable. I met many new-found friends who would make the special effort to ride to my place and take me on night rides during my break to teach me how to use cleats; one even drove across the island to pass me his stationary bike trainer which would help me learn to cycle with cleats; I met a lady-marathoner who lives across the road who runs with me before work; during church camp I met a swim coach who enlightened me about swimming; and just lately, could you believe it- I found a professional swimmer, trained by Australian best-coach-of-the-year Ian Pope, who lives 2 minutes from me who loves swimming so much he's been coaching me a couple of evenings a week for free at the comfort of the pool at my place. He's an excellent coach, and I cannot help but marvel at how God sent people to help, teach and encourage me when I was willing to humble myself before Him and confess my weakness. Till today, I marvel at how so often, timings and events just happened at such perfect timings, so randomly and beautifully that I am left quite in awe at how people simply walked into my life when I needed them.

And I am amazed that none of this has consumed me- for as I enjoy the new-found luxury of enjoying the gifts God has blessed me with, I have become much more disciplined with my academic work, my service at church and the other gifts which God has called me to steward. I am enjoying school so much and keeping up with my studying; I am enjoying time spent at church; I check myself against these reminders regularly, just so I remember that God is the centre and rock of my life always. And though it has been a little annoying having to fend off jeers about my joining the mini instead of the sprint, I know this is between myself and God, that it is my true friends who will choose to understand and support my more modest decision, and it is ultimately God who will be pleased at my obedience. Life is like that- we can't make everyone understand, and we don't need to.

God says that it is good for us to enjoy what He's given to us (Ecclesiastes 5:18), but that we must be temperate in all things (1 Corinthians 9:25). I am amazed, that when we wait on God for his green light at His timing, the rewards are oh-so sweet, the journey is oh-so enjoyable. When we give up our desires to Him, He gives us back doubly. I am learning, and I am enjoying the rewards of drafting God.

Drafting doesn't mean it doesn't come with its challenges. Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it's not from God. Similarly, easy routes don't necessarily mean they were planned by God. After all, drafting at high speeds can be incredibly challenging. Pushing yourself in disciplined sports is never effortless. However, drafting does mean that for a much higher level of performance, the effort put in is relatively less, and it is enjoyable because you know the favour is on your side. The pain experienced is a good kind of pain, not a spirit-eroding one, but a wholesome, healthy sort of pain.

It's funny- I'm involved and doing more things than I've ever done before, and still, I feel so refreshed, so incredibly happy and balanced.

Drafting. It means to follow. It makes life so easy, so fruitful. Last night's ride along the straight road, drafting behind another cyclist, made the ride so much fun.


When we follow God, our burden is always far lighter. We can work from a position of rest. Are you drafting God today?

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,

and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,

and you will find rest for your souls.

For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

-Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.