Sunday, November 11, 2007

Tiny things.

I was in a large hall with a lot of people, girls mainly, and they were all very young. For some reason, a lot of people I respect were there too- teachers, parents, my senior pastors from church. We were there giving a talk to help these young girls, teaching them about values of self-esteem and loving themselves, teaching them about overcoming trials and having a hope for their future.

I was dreaming. It was a happy dream. And when I woke up that morning, I felt very accomplished. To have all those good and fuzzy and fulfilled feelings of helping people and doing what you're passionate about, just by waking up from a night of sleep was like waking up to find out that WOW, every day is Sunday! It was a good dream. Happy feelings.

It was almost like an encouragement. For nights, I was on my knees asking God how. How do I go about reaching out to people who need help? How. I'm so small. Twenty. Studying. Naive. Right? And after nights of praying, it was almost as if the dream served as some sort of a reminder, of a dream that is real, and Possible.

So a few days ago, in between the lull of a series of examinations and the next, I decided to revamp this space, to make it easier for people looking for help to help themselves or a loved one. Our society is moving from first world into upper-class first world, and people are falling ill, losing lives not because of infections, but because of diseases of the heart.

Many of you have been asking me for help, and how to go about helping someone you love through a period of darkness. We all the know the answers actually. There are doctors in hospitals, pastors at churches, hotlines to call, school counsellors to speak to, counsellors at Community Centres to set appointments with... But in our moment of panic, denial, shame or fear of being found out, we often forget where to get help, or where to help others get help.

At the pace our society is moving, it will be a matter of time before you meet someone who needs this kind of help. And at that time, I just pray that somehow, some tiny part of you will remember this space, and realise that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

People who are hurting most commonly seek doctors, not counsellors, out. So to my peers reading this who will become doctors-to-be, I hope this may be helpful for you, help you be more aware of the resources available and the reality of the hidden phenomenon which no one talks about, to save that extra one or two lives who might otherwise slip through your fingers, and help you make all that difference in the world.


For you and the people you love:

I've added more links under the link "HOPE", and will be adding more in time to come. They are resources I've sourced for and which I'd like to share with you because I've been answering the same questions- How, how do I help? Why, why did this happen?

I hope they'll be of help to you.

People often approach me asking, "I'd like to help you in your project. How can I help? Let me know if I can help in any way, okay?"

This is how you can help.

Even if you're perfectly fine right now, or don't know anyone who may need help, read. Explore. Watch the videos under the link "Dying to Be Thin", visit the websites when you're bored. Heighten your awareness, learn what this is about, because you'll never know when you might meet someone out there who needs a touch from you, from a heart that understands, from someone who's not just asking Why or How, but rather, just being there, understanding, doing the right things. And in doing so, people will come to you, because people will know you know. Trust me, they just will.

When you know, when you understand, your spirit somehow sends out a message to the world, to the people around you that you have that sort of love to hold that kind of hurt.

In knowing more, in understanding, you are spreading the chain of love, sending out love frequency signals through your invisible antennae, creating your own ripple effects. Passing it on, impacting life after life after life, simply because you know, you understand.

Every time you help someone by understanding, every time you share with someone what you have learnt, what you know about depression, anorexia or anything for that matter, you are raising someone'es awareness, breaking myths, removing stigmas, equipping them to help themselves and in turn, others.

It is a powerful thing. Don't underestimate it.

Share this sitespace with people.

This is how you can help.

Loving Big starts with the small things- small, Tiny things like clicking on links.

If we want a love message to be heard, it has got to be sent out.

-Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.