Saturday, October 31, 2009

Baby miracle.

Have you ever felt like a situation was impossible, too big for you, and then decided not to try at all? Because after all, trying requires effort, and a certain amount of faith which requires putting oneself on the line.

When I received the email, I am ashamed to say that I felt just that way. Josephine, the missionary who gave up her life to help needy women and children in Nepal, had written to me about a little 4 year-old girl named Alisha.

Dear Wai Jia,

Greetings from Nepal!

I have a little girl name Alisha , she is about 4 years old. She was born with hearing impairment and despite several visits to the doctor in Nepal to fix a hearing aid, she is still not able to hear. I am wondering if we can rally a group of doctors in Singapore who will be willing to help her. I wonder if by performing an operation, she will be able to hear better. I think she has the potential to speak but is unable to due to her hearing problem.

I am praying about helping her and her mother. Her mother is a single mother with 3 children to look after. I hope to help her reduce her burden by seeking treatment for Alisha. I will try to raise funds for their air ticket and other expenses.

Much Love,

Jo



A few days ago, Jo shared with me that this idea came into her mind as I'd previously shared Qing's story with her, about how a group of Singaporean doctors had rallied together to help this girl from China who had been brutally disfigured by acid to see and face life again. If they did it for Qing, could someone do it for little Alisha too?

To be honest, a weary thought flitted into my mind, "Rally a group of doctors here to help her? I know I had shared with her Qing's story but it was a doctor himself who arranged it. I'm not sure if I can help, I'm only but a medical student- what are you expecting me to do?" I truly had little faith in the situation. There are hundreds of needy people out there, what can I do?

I thought the situation was quite improbable, unrealistic even. I wanted to turn her down, tell her I wasn't optimistic about helping her, tell her that there're too many needy people out there and well, we just can't go that far for each of them- it isn't realistic. Don't you know how difficult and expensive it will be to fly Alisha in and out of Singapore? Don't you know how expensive the entire procedure will be?

Looking back, I certainly deserved a good throttle. I forgot, that we must do our best to help one person at a time, one soul at a time. Whoever God brings to our doorstep is who we must love. No matter if there're 9 billion people in the world. No matter. I was deeply skeptical about the whole ordeal, and goodness knows what it was which possessed me to reply instead, "Sure, Jo. Rest assured I'll do my best to see what I can do."

It would take a miracle, I thought, for Alisha to hear again.


Dr. G, an extremely well-connected doctor with a big heart for God gave me a number of an ENT(ear, nose and throat) surgeon to call. This surgeon gave me hope because his secretary gave me a date to speak with him personally. He was famous in Singapore, well known for his skill. After waiting for his reply for several weeks, and calling his office only to be received by his secretary again, my heart sank to the floor when she finally confessed to me, "Ah yes, I did speak to him about it. But... er... well.... er... he's too busy for the rest of the year."

Too busy. I had waited and prayed for weeks only to receive a let-down.

I was disappointed. Still quite in shock, I asked Dr. G for the number of another doctor, Dr. K.

Dr. K was more cordial. I called him during my lunch hour. His warmth over the phone assured me of his humanity. After I had explained the situation, however, he said, "Sorry, this is not my specialty. Why don't you contact Dr L from X hospital. She'll help you."

"Could you link me up with her? Perhaps give me her contact number?"

" Go through her secretary. Or you can find out her email on the Internet," was his brisk reply before he hung up. Appalled by his lack of concern and apparent disinterest, I lost my appetite. After what had happened with the previous doctor, I suddenly became outraged and discouraged. Did they not realise what they had just done? But thank goodness he called me back 2 minutes later, almost sheepishly, as if he had realised the gravity of his doing and after he had sensed the sheer disappointment in my voice.

"I'm so sorry, Wai Jia. Let me link you up with Dr L. This is her number, contact her, yes? I'm sure she will help you."

But by that time, my hopes had dwindled. I had waited, prayed, made several phonecalls and sent many emails to various doctors, only for all that to come to nothing. Have we really worked our whole lives in the name of helping the needy, only to become too busy to serve the people who need us most? I don't have the right to judge- perhaps they are busy helping others too. But it certainly made me think and wonder how our choices and reactions can shape and change us.

By this time, my faith store had diminished. In my head, I was crafting an apology letter to Josephine already: I'm sorry about Alisha, Jo. I tried my best.




Sometimes, you may just be one shot away from succeeding.

For Dr. L's voice was enthused with passion and love when she heard my plea. "Oh wow, I've been praying to God to please send me someone like this to help for ages! I'm so glad you called. Thank you for the opportunity!"

My heart sang with joy at her response. I had met someone with a heart of gold.



Even then, we were far away from reality. A hearing implant would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. The operation itself would cost tens of thousands, even if Dr. L waived her surgical fee. Was it possible?

"Don't worry, Wai Jia. Rest assured I'll be taking over this case. I'll fly to Nepal to do the operation if need be."

I remember thinking before, this would need a miracle. A miracle God provided indeed.

So 4 months later, you can imagine how amazed I was to see little Alisha right in front of my very eyes.








Little Alisha, though deaf, is incredibly intelligent and communicative through her expression and creative gestures. In a world of silence, she would smile, chuckle and imitate adults with curious glee. Within minutes, she had wooed all the nurses and medical staff at the hospital.

Her operation was supposed to be on Thursday, just 4 days ago. We were all set for the operation which would change her life. But because of a chesty cough, the anaesthetists have postponed her operation to this coming Thursday instead.
It is just as well, for it so happens that I would be doing my Anaesthesia module in the same hospital, and assigned to be in the operating theatre. This means I would have the chance to witness her operation!

It amazed me, truly, to be humbled and shamed by my own lack of faith. I learnt, that for all we are worth, we very often do not fathom nor see how on earth we could possibly provide for the needy. We very often do not wish to go too far for a single soul. But perhaps, all we need to see is how we can do little things in little steps of faith. Perhaps, that is all that is needed for us to partner with God, who brings circumstance, money and the right people into perfect cosmic cooperation. It is He who eventually makes the miracle.

So don't ever look down on what you can do for others. Don't ever doubt your ability to be useful for God, or helpful to the needy. And most importantly, never doubt the ability of God to put people, money and circumstance together, even when you feel your hands are tied in an impossible situation. I am learning, that though we may feel unsure about our part in solving a problem, we can certainly be sure of what God has called us to do, and put our faith that all things will work for good. We may only care about large-scale projects, but God cares deeply, even for and especially the individual.

Just remember, that when you feel like throwing in the towel, you could just be one try away from success. We can't save the whole world, but with a little bit of faith, we certainly can change one life at a time.




If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

-Mother Teresa

'He defended the cause of the poor and needy,
and so all went well.
Is that not what it means to know me?' declares God.
- Jeremiah 22:16

*Little Alisha's operation fees would have cost hundreds of thousands because of the cost of the hearing implant. After a special request was made to the implant company, however, the cost has been greatly reduced. Nonetheless, the operating fees etc still amount to $32'000, even after waiving the surgical charges. She is still $15'000 short.

If you would like to make a donation to help little Alisha hear again, please send me an email at waijia@hotmail.com

so I may link you up with the necessary contacts.

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.