Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yellow fellows.

The past few days have been a furious flurry of activity.

Final exams. A 22nd birthday. News that nothing can be done about the tumor. Relatives flying in and out. Brain-burning bible study from that intensive missions course I signed up for. Gatherings. Errands. And packing for Nepal.

This year's birthday felt different from all the rest- This year, because it fell on the last day of our final exams, a mind-boggling number of people remembered it. This year, because of the stressful exam period, there were few gifts, but more well-wishes, and a very enjoyable and thoughtful picnic surprise at a beautiful park after the paper finally ended. This year, grandma came to stay to celebrate. Last year, my friends surprised me by singing a self-composed song to the tune of Yellow, by my favourite band coldplay- but this year, what a surprise I got...

... Closing my eyes and then discovering a mountain of 22 golden-yellow eggtarts stacked together like an inverted chandelier of wedding champagne glasses, each with a candle on top, and a crowd of friends laughing together with me. A yellow envelope. Yellow daisies. Then reaching home to find another bouquet of yellow flowers, roses this time. And corn soup, ha. A phonecall late at night, then a sneaky surprise visit at home by friends from church with a banner, terribly smoky sparklers, party poppers and cream-yellow cake smashed into my face.

So many yellow things. It tickled me.

Till late last year, I never liked the colour yellow. And I couldn't help but find it a little funny how so many things I received this year were yellow, without people knowing.

Yellow flowers signify friendship.

This year's birthday felt different. It taught me a lot about gratitude, contentment and security, the importance of friendship, and family. Most of all, it taught me about God's grace. That while mercy is God not giving you what you deserve, Grace is Him giving us what we don't deserve.

It was a time of reflection and thanksgiving. A year ago, I wouldn't even have imagined I would make it this far. But I have. I've grown, experimented, tried, succeeded, loved and matured- and only because of my friends and family. A year ago on that day I was a wreck and today I stand to testify that God never forsakes us, merely brings us through what He needs to to teach, discipline, encourage and love us.

Yellow roses signify friendship. Friendship blessed by God, without which life would be meaningless.

I leave early tomorrow morning, to see my friends in Nepal, the thirty children and the many missionaries, whom I think of every day. The day I left Nepal the last time, the children at the orphanage put a yellow flower in my hair. Come back okay, didi (big sister) Wai Jia? It's about time.

Thank you all for making my 22nd birthday special and memorable. Thank you for remembering, for reminding me of thanksgiving and gratitude, and for all the yellow things.






And it was all yellow.
-Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.